Comment on Damp Proofing a Basement by Adding a Damp Proof Membrane (DPM) by Renovation Dave.
Thanks for the comment Handyman :)
We added a damp proof membrane between the woodwork and the brickwork (in some areas it was between the woodwork and the plasterboard which wasn’t as ideal) so the plasterboard shouldn’t absorb much moisture (impossible to remove moisture completely).
The only place water can get to the plasterboard from the original brick walls is via the plasterboard screws that are screwed into the wood. So the moisture has to go through the wood then through the screws which is unlikely.
When we removed some of the original woodwork the majority of the nails used didn’t have rust on them where the nails went through the wood, so even in the worst areas the worse case scenario will be moisture entering the wood work and all wood was treated. Obviously if we wait long enough it’s going to fail, but I expect the plasterboard to be damaged and require replacing before the woodwork does.
We used the original woodwork on some of the walls which in hindsight I wish we’d have replaced it all. In other areas on the house we have replaced everything. If the basement last 25 years with no damp problems I’ll be happy, so far it’s lasted over 2 years with no signs of rising damp. Only problems been condensation due to the TV nook (old fireplace area) and not insulating it, basically it’s a cold spot at the bottom due to no insulation and only one brick thick wall (rest of wall two bricks thick). We added a bit of cladding over the area with a inch thick insulation (used polystyrene sheets), this has improved the condensation problem in that area, not completely still a cold spot.
Other than that there are no other signs on damp in the basement which is a major improvement over what it was like before we started, so I’m happy.
Most important thing is when we are in the basement you barely need any heating on due to the insulation, really holds the heat well.